Learn to sail in the San Luis Yacht Club flagship, the 30 ft. Bermuda sloop “Second Wind”, on beautiful Avila Bay, California. These classes bring participants, ages 16 and up, to ASA 101 (beginner level) standard. Classes cover basic sailing theory, parts of the boat, crew communications, tacking, jibing, sail trim, crew overboard recovery, safety and more. Fee includes a textbook and tests. Upon successful completion of class and passing the ASA 101 Exam, an additional $39 will be collected by the instructor for students wishing to get certified. The certificate is internationally recognized and can be used to help qualify for chartering or renting sailboats worldwide.
Currently classes are booked exclusively through Cuesta College Community Programs. Prospective students should click on the following link to get further information and to sign up Click Here.
All information regarding class availability, fees, times etc. are accessible on the Cuesta College Community Programs website.
Please note that in this time of Covid 19 classes are taught subject to the following guidelines:
- Masks are required at all times.
- Social distancing will be practiced whenever possible.
- All students will fill out the Assumption of Risk and Release of Liability statements.
- The San Luis Yacht Club clubhouse will not be used for the lecture portion of the classes (During COVID the classes will meet outside the Mermaid Market at 3915 Avila Beach Drive beside the boat hoist in Port San Luis, CA).
- Students will spend limited time in the cabin of Second Wind.
Learn to skipper a 20' - 27' sloop-rigged keelboat by day, in light to moderate winds and sea conditions. Learn basic sailing terminology, parts and functions, helm commands, basic sail trim, points of sail, buoyage, seamanship and safety including basic navigation rules to avoid collisions and hazards.