We are a cruising oriented sailing school. We do not teach you to go fast, we embrace the tranquil aspects of sailing focusing on safety, boat handling, and keeping the drama out of boating.
Our 12 instructors all have extensive sailing experience, and most have cruised up and down the intracoastal waterway and beyond. Average age is 55 and over half are women.
Located in Narragansett Bay we have an ideal teaching area. We have tides and currents that can be felt, but not so much to be troublesome. Right outside our harbor are lighthouses, every kind of buoy, but almost no hazards, perfect for learning. Not to mention almost every morning the wind is light building up to 15 knots in the afternoon for teaching techniques in varying wind conditions.
Outside our normal ASA courses the most popular classes are women teaching women, docking, and Diesel engine/boat systems.
With seven lady instructors we teach all our courses both mixed gender and women only, including diesel! We have three different docking/close maneuvering courses including basic, advanced, and big boat.
Being a cruising oriented school we have diesel engine, boat mechanical systems, and boat electrical courses.
Learn to skipper a 20' - 27' sloop-rigged keelboat by day, in light to moderate winds and sea conditions. Learn basic sailing terminology, parts and functions, helm commands, basic sail trim, points of sail, buoyage, seamanship and safety including basic navigation rules to avoid collisions and hazards.
Learn to skipper a sloop-rigged auxiliary powered 25'-35' keelboat by day in moderate winds and sea conditions. Learn cruising sailboat terminology, basic boat systems, auxiliary engine operation, docking procedures, intermediate sail trim, navigation rules, basic coastal navigation, anchoring, weather, safety and seamanship.
Learn how to sail a sloop-rigged, auxiliary powered 30'-45' sailboat during a multi-day cruise upon inland/coastal waters in moderate/heavy winds and sea conditions. Learn about provisioning, boat systems, auxiliary engines, advanced sail trim, coastal navigation, anchoring / mooring, docking, emergency operations, weather, and more.
Learn the the navigational theory and practices for safe navigation of a sailing vessel in coastal and inland waters. On-water coastal navigation skills elements are contained in the ASA103, Basic Coastal Cruising, ASA 104, Bareboat Cruising, and ASA 106, Advanced Coastal Cruising, in progressively increasing levels of detail.
Learn to safely act as skipper and crew of a sailing vessel about 30 to 50 feet in length in coastal and inland waters, in any conditions.
Learn basic docking skills for boats with single inboard or outboard engines. Discover the basic theory and hands-on techniques needed to dock and undock boats in an efficient manner and without damage or injury.
Other Services Offered
- Women Only Courses
- Couples Courses
- Private Courses
- Weekday Courses
- ASA 'Challenges'
- Day Sail Charters (public)
- Day Sail Charters (member-only)
- My son and I have just recently completed Basic Sailing 101, Beginning Cruising 103, and Intermediate Cruising 104. We had an awesome experience in the classroom as well as on the water. All of our instructors were knowledgeable and well-connected.
Paul Casello - ASA 104, Bareboat Cruising
- After completing a 400nm circumnavigation of the DELMARVA peninsula and obtaining the ASA-106 certification from an excellent sailing school in Maryland, I knew something else was missing from my sailing toolkit.
Antonio Chantre - ASA 106, Advanced Coastal Cruising
- Just wanted to let you know that Adrienne did a wonderful job with us on ASA 104 last weekend. her teaching style is very easy going, but she constantly shared her insights with us throughout the weekend. with a range of situation and weather "..."
James Nicol - ASA 104, Bareboat Cruising
- Had a fantastic time taking the Diesel Engine course this weekend. Removing all the various engine components by system, learning the system roles, then returning the parts to the various locations was a valuable exercise. "..."
Andrea L - Narragansett Sailing School
Narragansett Sailing School
|Address||101 Narragansett AveBarringtonRI02806United States|