Our goal is to provide every student with an individualized ASA instructional program: expanding upon the ASA curriculum to meet your unique needs and interests.
Florida Yacht Group designs classes to meet your travel plans and schedule (weekend, week days or evening classes).
We want you to learn and have fun! Part of your learning experience is based on the skill of your Instructor; whose goal is to guarantee that you learn ASA curriculum and enrich your sailing experience by challenging you to reach the next level.
Captain Gary Cannon has enjoyed a career as an educator at Elementary through College levels; combined with 20 years of sailing experience from the Alaskan waters to Southwest Florida. This high level of expertise provides you with an interesting, educational and fun sailing experience.
ASA 101 and 103 classes is set-up on the exclusive ASA Beneteau First 22 (photo). This provides students sail training combined with ergonomic and safety innovations to ensure that every sail is comfortable and safe.
Our ASA 101–104 offer flexible class bundles that include complimentary accommodations aboard our boat, during your classes, including the day before and after. We start the ASA 101 aboard our brand new Beneteau First 22. ASA 103 and 104 transitions you to a 40’ plus boat. This gives you the opportunity to try various sizes of boats and to expand your increasing sailing skills on larger boats.
Harborage Marina amenities:
- Swimming pool with sundeck, tiki hut, and barbeque facilities
- Ample on-site parking
- Floating concrete docks with dock boxes, power, water, and Free Wi-Fi
- 24-hour controlled gate access & night watchman
- Restroom and shower facilities
- Laundry facilities, ice and vending machines
- 24-hour weather channel
Learn to skipper a 20' - 27' sloop-rigged keelboat by day, in light to moderate winds and sea conditions. Learn basic sailing terminology, parts and functions, helm commands, basic sail trim, points of sail, buoyage, seamanship and safety including basic navigation rules to avoid collisions and hazards.
Learn to skipper a sloop-rigged auxiliary powered 25'-35' keelboat by day in moderate winds and sea conditions. Learn cruising sailboat terminology, basic boat systems, auxiliary engine operation, docking procedures, intermediate sail trim, navigation rules, basic coastal navigation, anchoring, weather, safety and seamanship.
Learn how to sail a sloop-rigged, auxiliary powered 30'-45' sailboat during a multi-day cruise upon inland/coastal waters in moderate/heavy winds and sea conditions. Learn about provisioning, boat systems, auxiliary engines, advanced sail trim, coastal navigation, anchoring / mooring, docking, emergency operations, weather, and more.
Learn the the navigational theory and practices for safe navigation of a sailing vessel in coastal and inland waters. On-water coastal navigation skills elements are contained in the ASA103, Basic Coastal Cruising, ASA 104, Bareboat Cruising, and ASA 106, Advanced Coastal Cruising, in progressively increasing levels of detail.
Learn to safely act as skipper and crew of a sailing vessel about 30 to 50 feet in length in coastal and inland waters, in any conditions.
Learn to skipper an auxiliary-powered sailing cruising catamaran of approximately 30-45' feet in length during a multi-day liveaboard cruise upon inland or coastal waters in moderate to heavy winds (up to 30 knots) and sea conditions.
Other Services Offered
- Women Only Courses
- Couples Courses
- Private Courses
- Weekday Courses
- Weekend Courses
- ASA 'Challenges'
- Day Sail Charters (public)
- Vacation Charters
- Sail Trim Courses
- Spinnaker Courses
- Overall the course was great - it covered the fundamentals and still allowed for actual sailing experience, which it what it is intended to achieve. I would recommend this course with the FYG for anyone who is new or wants to learn more about sailing
Chase C. - ASA 101, Basic Keelboat Sailing
- Our experience was great... Our instructor, Mr. Cannon, far exceeded our expectations... We learned so much, from equipping our boat, to handling. We could not have asked for more and plan to return next year.
John W. - ASA 103, Basic Coastal Cruising
- My wife and I had so much fun and have not stopped talking about it. One of my co-workers is even considering doing it (and we will definitely refer him over to you). We really felt that we had the the best instructor. We enjoyed it so much!
Adam W. - ASA 101, Basic Keelboat Sailing
Florida Yacht Group – St. Petersburg
|Address||1110 3rd Street SouthSt. PetersburgFL33701United States|