The Newport Beach Sailing School has won the award for the Outstanding Sailing School of the Year several times. Several of our captains have won the Outstanding Sailing Instructor of the Year award. We never put more than 2 people in a sailing course unless it is a family course. We have the friendliest and most knowledge team of US Coast Guard Captains. We have the newest and cleanest fleet of sailboats. Newport Beach is a beautiful place to learn to sail with pleasant weather 12 months a year.
The Newport Beach Sailing School is unique in that we specialize in private and semi-private sailing instruction off the coast of Southern California. Our motto is ‘The best value in private sailing lessons.’ We are dedicated to providing highly personalized instruction, and the classes are scheduled according to your availability. We train on beautiful, coastal cruising sailboats built in 2005 or later, which means that you are learning on boats with some of the most cutting edge design, electronics, and instrumentation.
Learn to skipper a 20' - 27' sloop-rigged keelboat by day, in light to moderate winds and sea conditions. Learn basic sailing terminology, parts and functions, helm commands, basic sail trim, points of sail, buoyage, seamanship and safety including basic navigation rules to avoid collisions and hazards.
Learn to skipper a sloop-rigged auxiliary powered 25'-35' keelboat by day in moderate winds and sea conditions. Learn cruising sailboat terminology, basic boat systems, auxiliary engine operation, docking procedures, intermediate sail trim, navigation rules, basic coastal navigation, anchoring, weather, safety and seamanship.
Learn how to sail a sloop-rigged, auxiliary powered 30'-45' sailboat during a multi-day cruise upon inland/coastal waters in moderate/heavy winds and sea conditions. Learn about provisioning, boat systems, auxiliary engines, advanced sail trim, coastal navigation, anchoring / mooring, docking, emergency operations, weather, and more.
Learn the the navigational theory and practices for safe navigation of a sailing vessel in coastal and inland waters. On-water coastal navigation skills elements are contained in the ASA103, Basic Coastal Cruising, ASA 104, Bareboat Cruising, and ASA 106, Advanced Coastal Cruising, in progressively increasing levels of detail.
Learn to safely act as skipper and crew of a sailing vessel about 30 to 50 feet in length in coastal and inland waters, in any conditions.
Learn to skipper an auxiliary-powered sailing cruising catamaran of approximately 30-45' feet in length during a multi-day liveaboard cruise upon inland or coastal waters in moderate to heavy winds (up to 30 knots) and sea conditions.
Other Services Offered
- Women Only Courses
- Couples Courses
- Private Courses
- Weekday Courses
- Weekend Courses
- Corporate Team Building Courses
- ASA 'Challenges'
- Day Sail Charters (public)
- Day Sail Charters (member-only)
- Sunset Cruises
- Racing Courses
- Sail Trim Courses
- We had a terrific time and we were very impressed with all your staff, the quality of the materials, and the recommendations for how to prepare for our trip. We will give the ASA the highest possible recommendation for your school.
Pierre & Theresa V - ASA 101, Basic Keelboat Sailing
- Capt Mike was great. He is really knowledgeable and committed to teaching throughout the experience. I'm really thankful to have been able to learn from him, and I think you should consider him a great asset for your team.
Mike & Angie H - ASA 103, Basic Coastal Cruising
- Captain David was a great host and very fun and instructive. We all had a great time. Both girls enjoyed a long time at the tiller. All in all a great time! Thanks very much, and regards.
Frank P - ASA 101, Basic Keelboat Sailing
- Captain Mike Kohl was able to assess our past sailing experience and adapt to our needs in order to deliver a beneficial learning encounter. His maritime knowledge and winning personality allowed us to have the trip of a lifetime. Until next time!
Steve M - ASA 106, Advanced Coastal Cruising
- Connie and I wanted to say thanks for the course. We very much appreciated the great instruction and the first rate manner in which you run your operation.
Jeff E - ASA 104, Bareboat Cruising
Newport Beach Sailing School
|Address||1600 W. Coast HwySuite ENewport BeachCA92663United States|