About The Ocean Cleanup
The Ocean Cleanup develops technologies to extract, prevent, and intercept plastic pollution. The Ocean Cleanup’s goal is to fuel the world’s fight against oceanic plastic pollution by initiating the largest cleanup in history.
“Taking care of the world’s ocean garbage problem is one of the largest environmental challenges mankind faces today.”
Boyan Slat, CEO & Founder of The Ocean Cleanup
Founded by Dutchman Boyan Slat, before he turned 20, The Ocean Cleanup successfully completed a record breaking crowd funding campaign in 2014. They raised over US$ 2 million of funds which they’ve been using to carry out research expeditions, such as the Mega Expedition, as well as develop technology that will be used to clean the oceans of plastic. The world’s first system to passively clean up plastic pollution from the world’s oceans is to be deployed in 2016.
The ocean is critical to ASA and it’s conservation is of great importance. As sailors, many of us have seen this plastic pollution first hand – whether it’s a plastic bottle floating in a lake or a mylar balloon out there in the ocean. This is a problem that is only going to get worse and The Ocean Cleanup have found the cure.
To ensure The Ocean Cleanup is successful ASA is helping raise awareness and support their efforts as much as possible. ASA provided media coverage of their most recent Mega Expedition, including having a correspondent onboard one of the research vessels broadcasting content from the center of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch. We encourage all our members to do their part, either by changing their habits and reducing the amount of plastic waste they produce or by donating to help The Ocean Cleanup become a success!
Latest News About The Ocean Cleanup
- Sailing for Science - The Plastic Change organization is working to combat the problem of plastic pollution by understanding its origin and informing the process of prevention.
- Boyan Slat Interview - ASA caught up with Boyan Slat last week to talk about how his large scale environmental project, The Ocean Cleanup, is progressing...
- Ocean Cleanupdate! - Back in the spring, the ASA became involved in The Ocean Cleanup – an ambitious project devoted to ridding the world’s oceans of harmful plastic pollution.
- Jared Leto interviews Boyan Slat (Beyond The Horizon Web Series) - In this episode of "Beyond The Horizon" Jared Leto interviews 21-year-old Boyan Slat, an entrepreneur who is developing technologies to extract, prevent and intercept plastic pollution in the world’s oceans
- ASA was in San Francisco for the conclusion of the Mega Expedition… - ASA was in San Francisco for the conclusion of the Mega Expedition... watch the video and find out how The Ocean Cleanup hope to fix the plastic pollution problem...
- ASAs Exclusive Report from the Pacific Garbage Patch - ASA interviews Stella Diamant, The Mega Expedition Coordinator, via satellite phone from the middle of the Pacific Garbage Patch!
- ASA Coverage of the Departure of the Mega Expedition - From the shores of Hawaii, and the shores of the mainland the Mega Expedition has begun... watch the video...
- ASA Joins The Ocean Cleanup To Fight Against Plastic Pollution - ASA will be providing exclusive content from the Pacific Garbage Patch as certified sailing instructor Bob Solliday joins the Mega Expedition, a research component of The Ocean Cleanup project.
- Mega Expedition, Mega Incentives - This is a great opportunity to get involved - The Ocean Cleanup are even offering to cover all your costs associated with your participation in their Mega Expedition!
- Big Opportunity to Sail and Help Clean the Ocean at the Same Time - Young Boyan Slat made a splash when he announced a year and a half ago he had a plan to rid the oceans of plastic pollution. Check out our exclusive interview.