We asked Carolyn Shearlock, author of The Boat Galley Cookbook, for some good recipes to create onboard during the holidays. Carolyn pointed us towards some interesting ham dishes – the Holiday Ham Coca-Cola caught our eye. Here’s how it’s done:
- Prep time = 30 minutes
- Bake time = 1 & 1/2 hours
- Whole cloves – 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 can (12-ounces) Coca-Cola (not diet)
- 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple rings, drained and juice reserved
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees
- Using a sharp knife, crosscut the surface of the ham forming a crosshatch pattern about 1/4″ deep and 1″ apart. Insert 1 clove into each “X.” Place the ham, fat side up, in a roasting pan.
- Mix the brown sugar, honey and Coca-Cola together. Pour three quarters of the mixture over the ham. Bake for 1 & 1/2 hours basting every 20-minutes with extra sugar/honey/Coca-Cola mixture. If you use all the mixture, baste by spooning the liquid up from the bottom of the pan.
- During the last 20-minutes of baking time, baste with the reserved pineapple juice as well as the original liquid. If desired, decorate the ham with pineapple rings (use two or three toothpicks to hold each ring in place) or just serve with pineapple rings surrounding the ham.
- Cook a fully cooked ham to an internal temperature of 123-degrees – uncooked hams to 155-degrees.
There you have it – cook up this ham to these specs and you will be a rock star on the dock! Send us a picture and let us know how it turns out!