It’s June and that means the annual Summer Sailstice is upon us! According to organizers, “the Sailstice is a worldwide celebration of sailing on the weekend closest to the summer solstice.” This year, that means June 20th will be chock full of sailing events going on all over the United States and beyond. It’s a day to celebrate what a great sport sailing is and to get out on the water.
It’s pretty incredible what’s happening across the country on this year’s Sailstice. From Maine to Hawaii there are events of all sizes, shapes and themes. In accordance with the spirit of the day, there are races, expeditions, overnight cruises, rally’s and lots and lots of raft up parties.
Of course ASA is part of the action. The Sailstice offers a chance to win prizes for being a part of the day, and ASA has donated some great books to the cause. The American Sailing Association community is, of course, also quite involved. Here’s a list of the various ASA affiliate schools that are hosting fun events:
- All the SailTime locations are hosting an Open House & Fractional Sailing Expo. Find a location near you!
- Tradewinds Sailing Center in Pt. Richmond, California will be cooking up the dogs at their Open House event. More Information
- At the Modern Sailing Academy in Sausalito, California sailors will be spending the night in Clipper Cove at Treasure Island and enjoying the longest day of the year with onboard BBQs, spinnaker lift, projected movies on the main sail, and soaking it up in the new cockpit hot tubs! More Information
- The San Juan Sailing School in the Pacific Northwest has got a weeklong flotilla happening. Boats will be departing Bellingham, WA, sailing through the San Juan Islands to Victoria BC, and returning. More Information
- The folks at Annapolis Yacht Sales in Annapolis, Maryland invite people to come learn the ropes on a Beneteau ASA First 22! Free drinks and appetizers at the restaurant after the sail are part of the deal at AYS. More Information
- There’s all different sailing activities going on over at the San Diego International Boat Show – instruction, sail simulators, boat tours. More Information
- Sailtime in San Francisco is always inviting people to come sailing – every day is Sailstice for them! More Information
- Sail Solomons Sail-Aweigh kicks off on Jun 20th at 9 am with a Captain’s meeting followed by a sail up the Patuxent River to our designated raft-up and lunch anchorage. More Information
To learn more about the Summer Sailstice and see if there is an event near you, check out www.summersailstice.com