Okay, here’s a quick little quiz of sailing terms born from our Sailing Made Easy book. Test your sailing knowledge with these 5 questions – if you get them all right, the quiz will give you compliments. If you make a mistake, the quiz may act like a wise guy. Either way, it’s fun. Ready?
- What is the “clew” of a sail?
- The upper attachment point of a sail
- The long stretch of sail that parallels the boom
- The aft lower corner of a sail
- The area where reef lines are attached
- Where is the “companionway” on a sailboat?
- The entrance from the cockpit or deck to the cabin
- Synonymous with aft cabin – the rear cabin under cockpit
- The walkway along the deck
- In bigger boats it is the space located just before entering the engine room
- A “grommet” is…
- A very small screw inside most standing rigging hardware
- A washer that provides spacing in a standard winch
- A tell tale that gets stuck to a sail and is of no use
- A metal ring set into a sail
- What’s a “spar”?
- Slang for boathook
- A pole used to support a sail
- A pole used to fold sails
- A term describing a young sailor
- A “block” in sailing means
- Stealing another sailor’s wind
- A wooden shim
- A pulley
- A fastener that secures running rigging to standing rigging
Here are the results of the first quiz – only 50% of you got all the answers right. Let’s hope you can do better in the next quiz.
Try our other quizzes:
- Sailboat Quiz
We hear it all the time, “that’s a beautiful boat” but what do they really mean? Does anyone even know that all sailboats are not equal?
- Sail Trim Quiz
Sail trim is a big part of a sailor’s knowledge base. Here’s a little quiz to see if you know some of the pertinents.
- Elements Quiz
Take a crack at this quiz that focuses on understanding the elements – tides, fog, currents... that kind of stuff.
- Navigation Rules Quiz
Sailing is a free flowing world of wind and sea, but we all need to be on the same playing field when it comes to the “who goes where” stuff.
- Phonetic Quiz
In sailing, the phonetic alphabet is an important thing to know and know well in order to have a means to communicate clearly and precisely.
- Anchoring Quiz
Anchoring is a giant part of the boating experience and we have to know how to do it well.
- Cruising Quiz
Here’s a quiz derived from ASA’s Coastal Cruising Made Easy that will give you more bravado or maybe humble you a bit.
- Cruising Quiz 2
Here’s a little quiz taken from ASA’s 104 text, Bareboat Cruising Made Easy, to test your knowledge before you next untie those dock lines.
- Charter Quiz
Here’s a quiz created from ASA’s Bareboat Cruising Made Easy text book to see if you are close to being ready for a charter experience.
- Sailing Terms Quizzes
We have a collection of quizzes to text your knowledge of sailing terms - I, II, III, IV