ASA 118, Docking Endorsement
Able to safely and efficiently dock an auxiliary powered (single inboard or outboard engine) sailboat. Knowledge of basic auxiliary power theory, engine and steering controls, proper use of dock lines, crew communication and safety.
1. List four forces that act on a boat during docking maneuvers, how each force affects the speed and orientation of the boat, and which force is dominant.
2. Describe which forces the helmsman can control or use to advantage during docking.
3. Describe engine and rudder control as used during docking.
4. Describe how to properly secure mooring lines in a slip and alongside a dock.
5. Describe the use of spring lines during docking.
6. Describe safety considerations during docking.
7. Describe docking and undocking procedures including crewmember duties.
8. Prepare boat and crewmembers for docking and undocking including:
- Assessment of boat condition
- Dock and fairway configuration
- Routes of exit and entry
- Water depths
- Wind and current direction and strength
- Potential hazards
- Docking/undocking plan
- Crewmember assignments and instruction
- Emergency abort options and procedures
9. Maneuver the boat in a confined space to include performing a ‘standing turn’ maneuver, turning the vessel 360 degrees using rudder position and gearshift/throttle control while remaining in a circle not exceeding two boat lengths in diameter.
10. Undock boat as planned without collision, grounding, damage or injury.
11. Dock parallel to a dock with wind blowing towards dock; demonstrate proper use of spring lines and attachment of lines to the dock.
12. Undock from parallel to a dock with wind blowing towards dock; demonstrate proper use of spring lines to avoid other boats moored fore and aft.
13. Dock bow into slip with a cross wind; demonstrate proper use of spring lines and attachment of lines in the slip.
14. Dock stern into slip with a cross wind; demonstrate proper use of spring lines and attachment of lines in the slip.
15. Demonstrate the proper method for heaving a line.
16.Construct and demonstrate the use of each of the following:
- Round turn and 2 half hitches
- Cleat hitch